Starting Your Business: Steps to follow from the Ohio Secretary of State
The following are steps provided by the Ohio Secretary of State, to quick-start your business:
- First, register with the Ohio Secretary of State – Registration information as well as forms are available online (see information below) or at (877)SOS-FILE
- Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Additional information and an online application are available at www.irs.gov under Businesses
- Then, open a Bank Account. You will need your EIN to open a bank account.
- Contact the Ohio Department of Taxation. Register with the Ohio Department of Taxation at www.tax.ohio.gov. The Ohio Department of Taxation can assist businesses in determining state and local tax obligations.
- Report Newly Hired and Re-Hired Employees to the new Ohio New Hire Reporting Center. Report employee information at www.OH-NewHire.com. More information can be obtained by contacting the Ohio New Reporting Center at (888)872-1490
- Contact the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation. If your business or organization has an employee or employees visit www.ohiobwc.com under Ohio Employers.
- Contact the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services. Employers may be required to establish an Unemployment Compensation Tax Account with the Ohi Department of Job & Family Services. Visit www.jfs.ohio.gov under Employers.
- Finally, obtain the proper licenses and permits. The Ohio Business Gateway, www.business.ohio.gov, Licenses and Permits page provides a list of professional licenses and business permits necessary to do business in Ohio. Contact your county and local government to determine if any special requirements exist for your type of business.
Considerations for Nonprofit Organizations
Apply for Tax Exemption. Visit www.irs.gov to apply to become a tax exempt organization. Also, contact the Ohio Department of Taxation and your county and local governments to determine how to apply for applicable exemptions.
Any further questions or research can be directed to:
Toll-free TTY (877) 644-6889
180 E. Broad Street, 16th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215